Every hour of every day, someone is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, the most severe form of a disease that annually accounts for more than $100 billion in health care costs in the U.S. alone. Usually striking before the age of 30, type 1 diabetes takes a harsh toll on people. Not only will they be insulin-dependent for life, but devastating life-limiting and life-shortening complications such as blindness, amputation, heart disease and stroke, and kidney failure are an ever-present threat. Insulin is not a cure for the disease—it is merely life support.
Type 1 diabetes is destructive both to children and to childhood. Controlling the disease requires 24/7/365 vigilance and imposes a grueling regimen. It includes eating a carefully calculated diet, checking blood glucose levels several times each day (by lancing a finger) and insulin injections—as many as six per day—or delivery of insulin through a pump just to stay alive. It means children and families living by the clock, day and night, for the rest of their lives—lives that turn out to average about 15 years less than normal.
You can't outgrow type 1 diabetes. As JDRF International Chairman Mary Tyler Moore has said, "Diabetes is an all too personal time bomb which can go off today, tomorrow, next year, or ten years from now—a time bomb affecting millions...one which must be defused." The only solution is a cure.
We want to thank you for joining us in the fight to find a cure!!!
Now...onto the fun stuff:
What: Hop for a Cure blog hop
When: Hop starts Friday, January 28th at 8:00AM and ends on Saturday, February 5th at midnight.
Where: The hop starts at the CROP OUT DIABETES blog. Follow along the hop to visit the participating blogs and join in on the challenges.
How it works:
1. Donate to JDRF using our donate button which can be found on all participating blogs. (A minimum donation of $5 is required to be eligible for prizes - you can donate using the Paypal button on the CROP OUT DIABETES blog )
2. Start at the CROP OUT DIABETES blog and follow along the hop. If you get lost each blog will have a list of the participating blogs so that you can get right back in on all the fun!
3. Complete the challenges and take a photo of your completed project/s.
4. Link a photo of your completed project to the linking tool at the bottom of each corresponding blog hop post by February 5th at midnight.
5. Winners will be chosen randomly using random.org and be posted by February 12th, 2011.
Before I get to the Paper Pretties challenge, I want to post a list of all participating blogs just in case you get lost along the way:
Thanks for stopping by today! The next stop in the hop is SCRAPALITY!